Tuesday, March 18, 2014
I Love You More Than Legos
For anyone who's been around Mudgie lately, you know that boy is obsessed with Legos. When he's not playing with them, he's watching YouTube videos of them. When he's not doing that, he's searching for sets he wants on Amazon. When he's not doing that, he's thinking about "his cabin friend Eric" and all the cool Lego sets he has. I could go on, but I won't. Mudgie has been spending so much time playing and building with Legos lately, that's he's starting to run low on pieces. Dave mentioned taking him to the Lego store to buy some more, so you can imagine how excited he was about that!
On Saturday afternoon, the whole family took a trip to the mall. Now, since Dave and I buy everything but groceries online, the boys never really go shopping, and we certainly don't take them to the store to pick out anything they want. But the creativity with which Mudgie builds things out of Legos is something both Dave and I want to foster. And let's be honest, we are both engineers and we love Legos too!
The mall was insanely busy. There is a reason we never go there. We decided to divide and conquer. Dave took Mudgie to the Lego store, and I took Aaron and Tommy to Build-a-Bear. Mudgie was in heaven, and got to fill a giant cup with Legos from the "pick a brick wall." He was SO sweet about it. When he picked out the things he wanted most, he told Dave that was enough. Since you pay per container size, Dave told him to fill it up! He had no problem with that, but the fact that he didn't want to be greedy with his favorite thing in the world speaks volumes to the kind of kid he is!
Meanwhile, at Build-a-Bear, Aaron picked out a pastel colored Easter Bunny to stuff. He was so sweet waiting to fill his bunny, hugging it, and cuddling with it. When it came time to fill it up, he "got to step on the pedal" to put the stuffing in, and then he picked a heart to put inside before the sewed the bunny up. Then, when I told him he could choose an outfit for his bunny, he first chose the pink and white Hello Kitty bathrobe before he found the Batman costume. We dressed bunny in his mask, cape, suit, and mittens, and Aaron was in love.
Tommy was content enough to go along for the ride. He was feeling a bit under the weather this weekend. On Sunday, he had a slight fever and was clearly unhappy. His nose was all stuffy, and he was having trouble nursing at times because he couldn't clear his nose. The poor little guy would start to suck, and then pull away to gasp for air, and then suck a little more, and then pull away to gasp. It was sad, but a little crying helped clear his nose enough for him to eat.
Tommy is such a little tank that missing a meal or 2 isn't going to hurt him. He has the best thunder thighs, and when I try to gobble them up during a diaper change, he laughs and laughs. He also has such a cute pot belly. Tommy started waving this week, which is super adorable, when he's not sick, he will sit on the floor with his electronic drum and bang away for longer than he'll play with any other toy (for now).
Aaron really likes to push our buttons lately. He says stuff just to get a rise out of us. Today, as we were driving to K-K's, he realized he didn't bring his bunny. When I told him that I didn't bring it either, he started crying, and then told me, "Someday I'll walk in the road" in grumpy Aaron voice. I think he wanted me to tell him that he's not allowed to walk in the road, but when I instead told him, "Yes, someday you'll be old enough to walk in the road safely," he just got more upset.
And to bring it all back to the title of this post, Mudgie, who is definitely growing up, but also still my snuggly, cuddly little man, will tell me all the time, "Mommy, I love you more than Legos." Coming from him, that's the highest compliment a mom could ever ask for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment