Saturday, September 27, 2014

Back (and Off) To School!






Ok, so I'm only about a month overdue with posts.  Have you been wondering what's going on?  Here's what: school started.  Mudgie is in Pre-1st this year, which for those not familiar with the Westford school system, is a full year of school between kindergarten and first grade for kids who need a little more time to mature.  I'm sure it will surprise no one that more than half of the 16 kids in Mudgie's class have summer birthdays.  What did surprise me is that there are only 4 boys in his class, including him, but there are 3 girls named Ava.  I'm sure that gets confusing!

I knew from last year that things get a bit crazy once school starts, but this year, Aaron has also started school.  He has left K-K's to go to Pre-K at the Goddard School in town.  It was a really tough choice, but he was more than a year older than everyone else at K-K's, and knowing that he would be one of the youngest kids in his class in kindergarten, we felt like he needed to learn to be around kids his age.  This, of course, means that now each kid goes someplace different, and Dave and I need to get them all there and home every day.

Mudgie has been doing really well at school.  The first day went really well, as he got to see a lot of his friends from last year at lunch and recess, even if he didn't know many people in his class.  The next couple of days were harder, as he didn't find the kids he wanted to sit next to at lunch, and I think he was feeling a little lonely.  This "school funk" didn't last long, and he has grown to really love his teacher, Mrs. Grimm, who seems much warmer than his teacher last year, and he's started to make friends in his class.  He also has a new before and after school routine this year, where Dave drops him off early at the school and then he takes the bus home every day and Maytal (the girl from up the street) watches him.  Really, all of this seems to be going very well.

Aaron had a great first week at school.  It went SO much better than I ever could have hoped for.  I was expecting some whining and crankiness and generally unpleasant evenings for bit during the transition, but we had none of that...until the second week.  That's when Aaron started crying every morning when Dave drops him off.  Unfortunately, this is still ongoing.  Dave does not handle waterworks well, and it is really hard on him.  I'm not the one there, so I can't judge, but at this point it's hard for me to say if Aaron is really sad to see Dave leave (he says he cries because he "misses Daddy"), or because he likes the attention he gets from it, or because it's now become part of his routine, or a combination of all of those.  Regardless, he tells us every morning (and many evenings too) that he does not like school and doesn't want to go back.  I would be more concerned if he wasn't happily playing with both kids and teachers every day when I pick him up.  The school also sends us pictures during the day, where he is happily engaging in different activities (blocks, "dramatic play" (Aaron calls it this...how fitting), playing games, etc.), and gives us detailed rundowns of how his day went.  He's usually sad in the morning, and by lunchtime (often sooner), is happy as a clam.  I'll keep you updated on this plays out.

As for Tommy, he is now the only Weatherwax left at K-K's.  The car rides to and from work are so quiet now!  Even though I get Aaron in the afternoon, because his school is so close to home, even that is mostly quiet.  If I'm being honest, it's kind of nice.  We have been doing playdates with K-K (and Riley and Noa) on Fridays, as I know Aaron misses them all.

I'll follow up with some more of our adventures soon, but I'll leave you with this gem from Aaron's teachers.  This was the "Memorable Moment" portion of the daily updates we get via email:
Aaron made us all smile today when he was telling us all about how he loves bats because they eat mosquitos. When we asked if he had ever seen a bat up close he looked at us with a look of horror and said," I don't like them that much!"  


No comments: