Sunday, February 13, 2011

Check-ups for all



Both Mudgie and Aaron went to the doctor this week for check-ups. Aaron had to go for his 6-month check-up (albeit a couple weeks late, thank you snow), and Mudgie had to go in for a height and weight check, since he's made it more than 6 months without an illness that's necessitated a doctor's visit (not that I'm complaining). Mudgie is now 36" tall, and 30.8 lbs, making him just about average for both height and weight. Aaron is 27.5" long, and weighs 16 lbs 11 oz, making him as long as Mudgie was at 9 months, and about the same weight as Mudgie at 6 months. It's crazy how different these boys are. But there are some striking similarities as well. It appears that, like Mudgie, Aaron's noggin has been growing rather quickly (went from the 25th-percentile to the 75th-percentile), and he now needs to go for a head ultrasound. Here's hoping we get a more congenial technician that we did with Mudgie.

I also forgot to mention last week how Mudgie went poopie on the potty. He did it at daycare, and while Karen said he was so proud of himself, he has yet to repeat that performance. Every time he goes we ask him if he wants to go on the potty, but the response usually elicits screaming and the word no. In fact, this morning he literally escorted me out of his bedroom and closed the door behind me so he could do his business. He's not going to make potty-training easy.

Aaron has been so good lately. He's such a happy baby, and even when he's not in a good mood, he still manages to find a smile for you. Which makes my next story even more heartbreaking. I was clipping his fingernails this weekend when I clipped a little more than just his nail. I got him pretty good and he was bleeding. I tried holding a tissue on it, but he was flailing around, and the tissue just wasn't cutting it (no pun intended), so we put a bandaid on it. After a few minutes he didn't even seem to notice the finger anymore. Fast forward a few hours, and Dave is in the basement with the boys while I'm making dinner. Aaron started making a weird noise, and Dave looks and the bandaid is missing. He runs upstairs with Aaron screaming and hands him to me. I see the bandaid in Aaron's mouth as he hands him over, and with a quick finger sweep (thank you CPR class) I get it out. Yikes!

As much as I would like to get a good night's sleep, little things like that snap me back to reality and make me treasure every moment I have with my boys...even the ones that happen at 2am. They are only little for such a short time. Mudgie, my little cuddle bear, is growing up more and more every day. While he still cuddles, and even still wants to play with my belly button from time to time, I can see that ending (at least the belly button thing), and it makes me want to hit the pause button. I love this age! I know I will love him at any age, but I also know that his overwhelming need for and love of me will change as he grows up. And that makes me just a little bit sad.

No comments: