Sunday, August 21, 2011

Family Vacation in New Hampshire













On Monday we drove up to the Glen Ellis Campground in Glen, NH. We drove up in the pouring rain, set up our tent in the pouring rain (thanks to the help of Dave's parents), and went out to dinner so we didn't have to cook in the pouring rain. It was not the ideal camping conditions, but we made due, and on Tuesday things improved.

We were able to venture outside and check out the campground, with the river just across from our campsite, the great playground and swings, and Mudgie's favorite place, the game barn. In fact, both Mudgie and Aaron really liked the game barn. It was just a big barn with some arcade games inside, but both the kids loved to check them all out and push the buttons. They didn't even need us to put money in the games, they just wanted to play on/with them.

Mudgie was a great sleeper all week, even though we let him stay up way past his normal bedtime. Aaron, on the other hand, was completely screwed up, and even though we brought the pack and play, he still ended up in my sleeping bag every night. It took forever for me to get him to sleep, and there we times when we just gave up on naps because I just couldn't get him down. There was even one night where he woke up at 2:30am and I nursed him in my sleeping bag until 3:30am, when he decided it was playtime. To avoid waking up everyone in the tent (and the campground), I walked him around the campground singing to him softly for almost an hour before we finally returned to the campsite, only to have him wake up the second I made it to the tent! It made for a very tiring vacation, but we all still had a good time.

We got in a couple really good hikes during this trip. We went up Mt. Willard again, the same hike we did last fall when we came up the area for a weekend. We also hiked up to Arethusa Falls, the biggest waterfall in NH. Both the kids did a great job on both hikes, but Mudgie spent most of the hikes on Dave's back, and of course Aaron rode the whole way. I'm hoping to do one more hike this season and have Mudgie do most or all of it by himself. He's really getting too big for the pack, and I know he could do way more than we make him!

We also spent a day at Storyland. Aaron got to ride on a lot more than when we were last there, and Mudgie even went on the roller coaster. I was surprised he wanted to after the Santa's Village experience, but he kept talking about it, so we went. I'd like to tell you this time was much better, but alas, it was not. However, I don't think any permanent damage was done, and we'll probably get him to try another one next summer. The train ride was still the biggest hit for Mudgie, but Aaron was all about the tractor ride. He got to sit up front by himself, where he could push buttons that made sounds and play with the steering wheel. Everyone was exhausted by the end of the day, but it was worth it.

I think the thing both Mudgie and Aaron liked best was playing in the river by the campsite. Mudgie could throw rocks into it all day long, and Aaron loved playing with the rocks and water too. The best part about the river, however, was that there were train tracks on the other side, and the train passed by almost every hour all day. Mudgie LOVED it, and Aaron seemed pretty keen on it too.

It was really a great vacation, and we were all sad to see it end. The boys had such a nice time visiting with Dave's parents, and Lisa even came up for a couple nights. Next week it's back to work, but also time to tackle some of the things we've been putting off for way too long. First, Mudgie is done with diapers (except for nap and bedtime) as of tomorrow. I'm sending 5 changes of clothes to daycare (although I really don't think he'll need them), and hopefully that will be that. I'm giving Aaron a night or 2 to re-normalize his sleep, and then I'm going to night wean him. I'm hoping that will lead to him sleeping through the night on his own. Then I'll just have to work on cutting back the daytime nursing...one thing at a time.

And since they're such a hit, I'll leave you with a few more Mudgie "funnies."

Dave is putting on Mudgie's shoes, and there is dirt or something else on the bottom of one of the shoes.
Dave: "Mudgie, is that poopie on your shoe? Did your shoes do a poopie?"
Mudgie: "No, Daddy. Shoes don't have butts!"

We are hiking up Mt. Willard, and the kids are starting to get restless. I start singing Old McDonald to keep them entertained. After going through countless animals, I started to get silly.
Me: "Old McDonald had a farm. E-I-E-I-O. And on that farm he had a Mudgie. Eli-Eli-O."
Mudgie: (Chiming right in without missing a beat) "With a talk talk here, and a talk talk there."


No comments: