Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mudgie gets sick :(






The weekend started off really nice. The boys and I went to the Discovery Museum and met our neighbors there. Mudgie and Aaron both had a great time playing with Lauren and Mikey, and we spent a good 2 hours burning off energy at the museum. Then it was home for lunch and a nap. In the afternoon we played outside, enjoying the inch or so of snow that was on the ground. Mudgie was our little landscaper, shoveling off the deck and the walkway, while I introduced Aaron to sledding. We just went down the little hill in our front yard, but he loved it! I'm so excited that I will have someone to sled with me this year!

Unfortunately, Mudgie woke up the next morning with a fever and a terrible cough. He was wheezing so much that I knew he had to see a doctor. Fortunately, our doctor has a weekend clinic, so we were able get an appointment. Mudgie did everything the doctor asked of him, including taking a nebulizer treatment in the office. After that he looked and sounded much better, so we left the office with 2 prescriptions (one for antibiotics, and one for the nebulizer solution), and home we went for a nap.

I wish I could say that Mudgie was as good with the nebulizer treatment at home as he was at the doctor, but that was not the case at all. In fact, he told me, "the dirty smoke is killing him!" Fortunately, I was able to bribe him with M&M's so at least he got it. The medicine, however, he sucked right down and asked for more! He seemed to be doing much better on Sunday, and only needed 1 breathing treatment.

As for what's up with Aaron, we are finally cutting back on the bottles. For the past 6 weeks or so, I swear he has survived on milk and junk food. This week we have successfully been able to cut way back on the milk, and hopefully over the next month, he'll be drinking a reasonable amount of milk from a sippy cup, and the bottles will be gone! He's getting so good with his words, saying, "off," "up," "stuck," and "juice." He's also really good at knowing when he does something wrong (usually hitting someone), and has even taken to putting himself in time-out. I'm not sure if that takes away some of its effectiveness, but at least he recognizes when he needs it. In fact, he even put himself in time-out for hitting himself with a stick!

These boys are so cute and cuddly, and I just can't get enough. Sick Mudgie is especially snugglicious (a word Mudgie himself now uses), and kept telling Dave and me that he loved us, and missed us, and we were best Mommy and Daddy ever. It's funny how something like that can make you forget about the midnight wakings, tantrums, and screaming...

No comments: