Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fireworks!















The 4th of July fell on a Wednesday this week.  Because it was in the middle of the week, many towns decided to have their fireworks celebrations after the 4th, which was fortunate for us.  We had hoped to go to a local fireworks show on Wednesday, but both kids woke up in a "mood."  Unfortunately, Dave and I let their sour mood and whining put us in a bad mood, so we decided to skip the fireworks, settling instead for a trip to Kimballs, which we all enjoyed.  

After Wednesday's grump-fest, I decided to implement a "no whining" policy at home.  Starting on Friday, I taught both kids that rule #1 is NO WHINING.  When either of them starts to break the rule, I simply ask them what rule #1 is.  For now, they both get so excited about getting the answer right that I can then coax them out of whatever they were whining about.  This technique seems to have help up all weekend, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will stick!

On Friday we went to the "train track park" to go swimming in the pond, since we no longer have a pool.  We met a new friend there who lives just down the road from our new house.  Evan is just a few months older than Mudgie, and while it took Mudgie some time to warm up to him, they were playing together very nicely by the time we went home.  Aaron was content to do his own thing, which in addition to throwing rocks in the pond and going on the swings, included falling so hard he gave himself a black eye.  And in true Aaron fashion, he was more upset about the dirt on his hands and legs than the bump on his face.

To make up for our lack of fireworks on the 4th, we took advantage of a different town's celebratory schedule and went to the fireworks Friday night.  The kids got frozen slush and light-up swords to occupy themselves as we waited for sunset.  Mudgie loved every minute of it.  Aaron was exhausted by the time the fireworks started (at 9:30, a full 2+ hours after his bedtime), and while he was clapping and saying, "Yay fireworks!" he wasn't even looking at them!  I think it was sensory overload for him.  Mudgie was giddy, laughing as each one exploded, while covering his ears to reduce the noise.  I think we all had fun.

Saturday was a quiet day, filled with long naps for the boys, since they went to bed so late the night before, but were still up early the next morning.  On Sunday we went to Grampa Steve and Grandma Mary's house.  We all had fun swimming in the pool, but Mudgie most of all.  Then that afternoon we set up a waterslide in our backyard with the kiddie pool and swing set.  It was Mudgie's idea, and both he and Aaron had a blast with it.  These kids can be so creative.  The house is really starting to feel like home, and we are all loving it.


No comments: