Sunday, August 26, 2012
Family Vacation!
It seems that our busy lives have kept me from writing about them for a few too many weeks. I don't like to go this long without a post because I forget all the cute little things that fit so well into my weekly happenings, whereas when I go for almost a month without an update, I tend to get caught up in the big picture stuff.
Let's start with a couple weeks ago, when we were supposed to do our annual Ingalls Family Lake George camping trip. It involves camping on a little island in the middle of Lake George, only accessible by boat. There are no amenities, unless you include the very rustic outhouse, but it is beautiful and serene and we all have a good time. Unfortunately, the weather was predicted to be a total washout that involved a day and half of not just rain, but also severe thunderstorms. We decided to bail on the trip, but instead got to go to the New England Aquarium with my grandparents, and then to an indoor water park with my dad, brother, and sister the next day. The boys were both in a bit of a sour mood all weekend, which put a damper on our outings, but we still managed to have a good time. On Sunday, Mudgie and I took a long (for Mudgie) walk on the bike path. We had such a wonderful conversation (something I would have loved to include in my post, but it's been too long and I can no longer remember what it was about), and I feel like he's growing up so fast. But I also feel like if we can just keep digging out those special moments, be it walks, or cuddles in bed, or whatever else, I can be okay with it.
The next weekend kicked off our week long Weatherwax camping trip. It started when Dave and I left on Saturday night to go one of the nicest weddings we've ever been to. Grammy and Grampy came up to watch the boys, and Aaron gave them the full blown "2-year-old" bedtime routine. Oops! Sunday morning we were off to New Hampshire to enjoy a week of the great outdoors. We played outside at the playground, at our campsite, and down by the river with the rocks and the sand. We fed the ducks, peed in the woods (ok, not everyone), and toasted marshmallows by the campfire. We all really enjoyed camping this year, and while they woke up early with the sun every day, the nights went so much better than they did last year.
Of course, there were outings as well. We took a ride on the Cog Railroad up Mt. Washington. Both the kids had fun, but Mudgie just took in everything we saw. He was asking about the crooked trees, the water tower, and other very complex ideas that I can't seem to remember. He loved it, and we loved it too, since it's been far too long since we were up on the mountains...even if it wasn't our own legs that got us up there.
We visited the train hobby shop, where Mudgie got to pick out some more stuff to go with his new electric train set. Of course, what he wanted was the most expensive things in the store, but we were finally able to converge on something we were all happy with. There was also a mini train that went around the property, and the boys went for a great little ride on that too. Then we went inside to the train museum, where there were about a dozen very intricate model train exhibits and many more cars, coaches, and engines on display. Aaron liked it, but Mudgie was memorized by it all. It was like his Mecca, and it took some convincing to get him to leave.
We also took a trip to Santa's Village, where Mudgie was too scared to go on most of the "big" rides, but Daddy was able to get him on the log flume ride. I can't say that he was a fan of it, but he survived in one piece! Both he and Aaron loved the train, which we went on at least 3 times. Aaron's favorite part was feeding the reindeer, something Mudgie was also too scared to do.
My favorite outing, however, was our "hike" to Diana's Baths. It was about a half mile walk on a slightly inclined dirt path that you could push a stroller on (and some people did). It culminated at a series of small pools and waterfalls where you could splash and swim. Dave and Mudgie climbed up higher on the rocks than me, and Mudgie did a great job doing it all himself. Aaron rode in the pack and kept saying happily, "Me hiking, Mommy!" At the baths, Aaron was in heaven splashing around in the water and playing with the rocks. Mudgie was not interested in the water, insisting that it was too cold, but loved climbing on all the rocks and exploring. On the way down he started asking for a piggy back ride, but he must have gotten a second wind, because once we got to big wide path part, he ran the whole way back. We stopped a couple of times to take a break, but he was faster than any of the rest of us. I kept calling him my "rocket man" and he'd take off down the path. He did SUCH a great job, and both Dave and I were so proud of him!
The kids had such a great time, and we did too, though as life with small children goes, it was not very relaxing. Perhaps we can get away for a grown-up vacation at some point, but I can see how quickly these years go by. Even though Aaron certainly acts like a 2-year-old at times, he's becoming more boy and less baby every day. He's so independent, and already doing things for himself (like getting dressed and putting on his shoes) that Mudgie still happily allows, and often asks for others to do for him. Mudgie is also starting to become more independent, but I think he will always be my cuddle bear (or at least I can hope for that). Aaron was very much a daddy's boy all vacation long, though I still got plenty of hugs and smoochies.
It's sad that our week of fun and togetherness is coming to end, but I'm sure we find new and exciting adventures as the days get shorter, the nights get cooler, and the crisp fall air starts to make its way in. A new season of fun with this amazing family of ours!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














No comments:
Post a Comment