Monday, September 3, 2012

Back to Reality




After such a great week off on vacation, it was hard to go back to work.  Apparently, Aaron thought so too, and it took him the better part of the week to settle back into his normal routine.  It seems as though he got so used to sleeping with Mudgie on vacation that he didn't want to nap by himself at daycare anymore.  And while I can imagine how not fun that was for K-K (especially since overtired Aaron gave us repeat performances in the evenings at bedtime, so I don't have to imagine very hard), listening to Aaron tell the story about it was pretty hilarious.

Aaron: "Me go in K-K crib...Me say no."
Me: "You told K-K you didn't want to go in the crib?"
Aaron: "Yeah.  Me say no.  Me cry."
Me: "So you cried when K-K put you in the crib?  Did you get a time-out?"
Aaron: "No I didn't.  Mudgie get time-out."
Mudgie: "Hey!  I only got 1 time-out."

So not only did Aaron give me the play-by-play, but he also ratted out his brother!  Once we all adjusted back to our normal routines, I found normal to be pretty nice.  We had such a great weekend with nothing planned.  I let our "normal" schedule slip just a bit, and since I was more relaxed and laid back, the kids seemed to be too.

We had lots of fun playing outside.  Saturday morning we took a walk down the bike path to the pond that is only about 1.5 miles away.  Unfortunately, when we got there we found out we couldn't swim in it due to high levels of E. Coli...oops.  We still had a nice picnic, and then made some cookies later that afternoon.  The rest of the weekend was just more of the same.  Dave and I traded off doing things around the house while the other one entertained the kids, and I think we all had fun and felt productive.

As I gave the boys a bath tonight, Mudgie made a statement and I told him he was pretty smart.  Then he told me, "Yep, I am.  I know everything!"  I thought to myself, "When did he become a teenager?"  It's so hard to put into words the mixed emotions of wanting them to become more capable of doing things for themselves, while still wanting to hold on to the "baby" phase for as long as you can.  I'm sure every parent feels this way, and so I hope we can hold onto this "relaxed normal" for a bit so that we can all enjoy the ride a little bit more.

No comments: