Sunday, November 4, 2012

Trick or Treat














Well, it seems life has gotten the better of me once again, and it's been way too long since my last update.  Life is pretty good in the Weatherwax household.  Mudgie and Aaron have finally started to really play together, and Mudgie has become such a "big brother" over the last few weeks.  He has been so helpful and kind toward Aaron, wanting to help Aaron with all his needs.  It's nice to see them interacting so well, both for each other and for my sanity!  Mudgie says on almost a daily basis how he loves Aaron, Daddy, and me the best.  So sweet!

As a perfect example of just how great a big brother Mudgie has become, he really seemed to step up one night when Aaron was having a particularly bad day.  Aaron hadn't napped, and Dave was working late, so it was just the boys and me at home.  We had to do both dinner and a bath, and Aaron fell asleep on the car ride home.  I moved him into the house without waking him up, allowing me to make dinner in peace.  When dinner was ready, Mudgie came to the table and told me, "I don't think we should wake Aaron up.  He's just going to be grumpy."  Because 4-year-olds are the wisest creatures on the planet, I should have listened, but silly me thought I knew better.  I woke Aaron up to eat dinner, and he screamed the whole way through it, eating almost nothing.  The crying continued during bath, where Mudgie was nothing but helpful, not crying a bit when it was his turn to get washed (something that is almost always accompanied by at least a little whining).  Then Mudgie entertained himself while I got a screaming Aaron ready for bed.  And even after Aaron was asleep, Mudgie was a perfect listener when his turn for bedtime came.  It could have been a rough night, but Mudgie's mood and behavior made it seem pretty wonderful.

Last weekend we traveled to upstate New York to visit some friends.  We all had a great time, and Mudgie showed us all what a great hiker he is becoming.  I was really impressed by both his stamina and enthusiasm for it.  I'm hoping we can squeeze in a few more outdoor outings this fall, since it's something we all seem to enjoy.

Due to all the down trees and power lines from the hurricane, our town postponed trick-or-treating from Halloween until Sunday night.  Unfortunately, they didn't do it until mid-morning on Halloween, which meant we had already told the boys we were going trick or treating that night.  I tried to explain this to Mudgie when I went to get him from daycare that afternoon, but he didn't take the news very well.  Fortunately, his friend Cole's parents took pity on us and invited us trick-or-treating with them.  In the end, it turned out really well as both sets of kids (Mudgie and Aaron and Cole and Riley, aka Aaron's girlfriend) had such a great time together.  Plus, Mudgie and Aaron got to go trick or treating again on Sunday.  And after handing out candy on Sunday to many kids who came to the door and only uttered the words, "How many can we take?" I was very impressed by my boys who said, "Trick or Treat" at every house, and then "Thank you" and "Happy Halloween" as they left with their goodies.

And finally, because it's been a while, some Mudgie and Aaron funnies:

We are leaving a playdate with our old neighbors, Lauren and Mikey, and as we are getting in the car, Mudgie says:
Mudgie: "I wish Lauren and Mikey lived next door to us."
Me: "I know, kiddo.  Having them for neighbors was the best part of our old house."
Mudige: "I wish I was Mikey.  Then I could live with Lauren!"
Me: "I know you love your friends, but I'm glad you are Mudgie.  I love you just the way you are."
Mudgie: "Are we going to move into a new house next year?"
Me: "No Mudgie, we aren't going to move again for a very long time."
Mudgie: "No, we are never going to move again."
Me: "Well someday, you and Aaron are going to grow up and meet the person you want to spend the rest of our life with.  Then you'll have a house and family of your own."
Mudgie: "Nope.  I'm not going to grow up.  I'm happy just the way I am, so I'm not going to eat my tomatoes!"

Dave grabs bag of peanut M&M's from the trick or treat bowl, and Aaron wants some.
Aaron: "Me want some, Daddy."
Dave: "No Aaron.  You can't have any of these.  They are a choking hazard."
Aaron gets distracted for about 30 seconds, and then goes back to Dave.
Aaron: "Where choking hazards go, Daddy?"

No comments: