Sunday, November 18, 2012
The Dynamic Duo
Mudgie and Aaron have become quite the duo. Aaron, as always, wants to do everything Mudgie does, but Mudgie now wants to spend time with Aaron. Mudgie has started going to Aaron out of his bed in the morning, and then the two little hellions come tearing into our room to wake us up! Mudgie had become obsessed with the iPad, and knows how to get to all the shows he likes to watch and to the games he likes to play. Aaron is completely content to sit next to Mudgie and watch a show with him, or even just watch him play a game. But their favorite "brotherly" activity always involves conspiring against Dave and me. Be it "scaring" us, or jumping on us, or trying to scam a treat, they seem to have no trouble working together when it is in their interest!
This week the boys and I went to visit Grammy Gail's grave. As I've mentioned before, Mudgie has been asking lots of questions about who my mommy is, and where she is. I told him that she got very sick, and the doctors couldn't make her better, and she died. He asked, "Not the dentist, either?" I told him (appreciating a little comic relief in this discussion), "No, Mudgie, not the dentist either." Then he asked, "Not the hospital, either?" "Not the hospital either" I replied. Before we headed to the cemetery, I tried to prepare my sensitive little boy for a potentially emotional mommy. I warned him, "Mudgie, Mommy and Grampy Michael might cry when we are at the cemetery. It's not because of anything you or Aaron did. It's just because we love my Mommy and we miss her." Then we got in the car, and maybe 20 minutes later Mudgie says, "Mommy, I love your mommy and I miss her." It was probably the best thing he could have said to me.
At the cemetery, he was very interested in the grave stones. Most of the markers at the cemetery just lay flat on the ground, rather than stick out of it. Because of this, many were covered with leaves, so as we walked around he would stumble on another one and ask me to read it to him. He asked who each of these people were, and I just told him that they were people had loved ones that missed them. Aaron kept asking, "Where your mommy? Your mommy died?" But I don't think he really understands the concept of death yet. That night, as I as putting Mudgie to bed, I thanked him for sharing such a special day with me, and for being such a sweet and caring boy. He just hugged me and snuggled with my belly button. I couldn't have asked for anything more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment