Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mudgie's 1 Year Check-up



This week seemed very low-key after all of the party preparations last week. Auntie Lisa stayed until Monday, so we all stayed home from work/daycare to spend more time with her. It was nice to have a quiet day at home, and I think Mudgie really needed it. The whole party was very overwhelming to him!

On Wednesday we went to Mudgie's 1-year check-up. He weighs in at whopping 23 lbs, and is now 30 inches long! He has tripled his birth weight, and has increased his length 50%. Crazy! Everything else in the visit was pretty routine, and he escaped this visit with only 1 shot (chickenpox vaccine). Again, he took the shot like a champ. In fact, he cried more when they were measuring his head circumference than they gave him the shot.

The weekend was quiet and uneventful. After more than a month of constant weekend visitors, we needed some time for just the 3 of us. It was nice to have Mudgie all to ourselves!

Mudgie still doesn't seem eager to walk, even though he's shown us he can do it. He's also decided that he doesn't want to walk on the wood floor, just the carpet. However, he did show off a new trick this week...stairs. Mudgie can climb up an entire flight of stairs all by himself (scary, I know). Now of course we don't just send the little guy up with a wave...we follow him up the whole way, prepared to catch him if he falls, but for the most part, he doesn't seem to need us there. He's also getting himself up to standing more often, even if doesn't do much once he's there. Let the childproofing begin!

Sleep continues to be less than ideal, but so much better than even a month ago! Generally, Mudgie goes to bed without a fight around 8pm. I usually have to nurse/rock/sing to him until he doses off, but I can then put him in the crib pretty easily. He sleeps until 11:30 or 12-ish, when I repeat the above and put him back into the crib. He will wake up 1 more time around 3:30, and again ends up back in the crib! He doesn't come into our bed until somewhere between 5 and 6am...pretty amazing for the little boy who used to hold me hostage in our bed from 8pm on. While it's great that he's doing so well sleeping in the crib, this means that I am up and awake for 15-30 minutes at least twice in the middle of the night, and that is making me exhausted. I guess I have to take the good with the bad...

Mudgie is eating fewer and fewer purees, mostly because he really doesn't like to be fed. He'll let us feed him yogurt, which is still his favorite food, but other than that he really just prefers to feed himself. He even gets a kids meal when we go out to eat now! He continues to show more and more personality every week, and is starting to become quite a Daddy's boy! While there is still no one like Mama when he's tired, Daddy is starting to take center stage during the day. I just love watching the two of them together. What a cute pair.

1 comment:

Auntie Lisa said...

I so agree! He is becoming his own little person with a little hint of his mommy & daddy!