Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mudgie Turns 3 and We Have a Party!







Mudgie turned 3 this week. It's hard for me to believe that the little baby we welcomed into the world and our family just a little while ago is now 3 years old. Mudgie changed our lives in so many ways, most of them good, and I can't imagine our lives without him.

We were SO excited for his birthday this year, and especially his birthday party. His actual birthday fell on Wednesday, and Daddy, unfortunately, had hockey that night, leaving the boys and me to celebrate on our own. I left work a little early so there would be plenty of time for fun, and we had a good time playing when we got home. I made Mudgie's favorite dinner, "cheese quesadilla with lots of cheese," and he and Aaron gobbled it all up in anticipation of what came next. After supper came the cupcakes, and I put a candle in Mudgie's and sang him happy birthday, which he loved every minute of. He then thoroughly enjoyed his cupcake. Aaron, who now wants to eat everything anyone else has, also thoroughly enjoyed his cupcake.
I let Mudgie stay up late as I put Aaron to bed, and when it was finally time for Mudgie to go to bed, I broke out his baby book and read him his birth story for his bedtime story. It was a little medical for a 3-year-old to understand, but he really seemed to enjoy it. When I got to the part where he "came out crying" Mudgie asked, "Why was I crying?" He seemed content with my answer, "To let us know you were healthy." He's only 3 (or unbelievably already 3, depending on how you look at it), but he's kind of an "old soul" who comes out with things way beyond his years. He's quite a little boy, and I know he's growing into a great little man.

Saturday was the day of the big family party. Mudgie had been anticipating this party for weeks, and could barely contain his excitement when he woke up that morning, asking "Is my party here?" Unfortunately for him, the party wasn't until after nap, but he played really well all morning knowing what was coming later. He woke up from his nap ready to go. We usually have to wake him up at naptime, and then he's groggy and cranky for a while after he wakes up, but for his party he woke up on his own and wanted to party. Mudgie enjoyed visiting with his guests as they arrived for the party, and Aaron enjoyed staying glued to my side (as usual). We visited and grilled, and after everyone had eaten, it was finally time for the part Mudgie had been so anxiously waiting for...the cake!

We sat the boys at the table in their party hats, and brought out a cupcake for Aaron, and big cake with a yellow Mack truck and a trailer (per his request) that I was up until midnight making for him the night before. We sang Happy Birthday, and the boys blew out the candles...with a little help from me. Aaron immediately started chomping away on his cupcake, while Mudgie waited patiently for us to cut the cake. While Aaron consumed the entire cupcake, frosting first, then the cake part, Mudgie barely touched his cake once he finally got it, instead eating all of his ice cream, and even some from those sitting next to him!

When cake time was over, it was on to the presents. Aaron was in no mood to sit still, so he and I walked around the backyard (because he wouldn't let anyone else walk around with him) while Mudgie opened his presents...and were there presents! Mudgie was amazing with the presents, showing interest in and excitement for each one, but moving on to the next when prompted without complaint. He remembered to say "thank you" to everyone, and even doled out some hugs when everything was opened. Aaron, however, was just grossly overtired by this point, and so he skipped opening presents and went straight to bed. We opened his the next day when he was happy and well rested.

I think Mudgie was a little sad when the party was over. On Sunday he was playing with a birthday cake toy that Aaron got and was singing Happy Birthday to himself. He also insisted we put a candle in the cupcake he had after dinner and sing him Happy Birthday. But, lucky little boy that he is, gets to do it all again next weekend when we have the boys' friends over for a birthday party!

No comments: