Sunday, November 13, 2011

Aaron Grows Up








I know the transition from babyhood to toddler is not something that happens overnight, but it certainly seems like Aaron has been racing toward toddler this week. At daycare, he wants to do all the activities that the big kids do, whether it be baking (who wouldn't want to help with chocolate chips) or painting (even if he originally thought the brown paint was chocolate and tried to eat it). At home he copies everything we do, especially Mudgie. He's like a little parrot, and it's clear he can't wait to be a "big boy."

Mudgie is starting to see Aaron a little more as a playmate, although he still prefers to be left alone to play. While they will often fight for my attention (and my belly button), I noticed them both improving in the sharing department this week. However, Aaron will resort to violence (pushing and hitting) when he really doesn't want Mudgie to invade his territory (me), so we've started giving Aaron time-outs. He responds to them surprisingly well, especially considering he basically ignores the word "no."

In terms of play styles, these boys could not be more different. We went to the mall on Saturday night, and spent maybe 20 minutes at the little "playground" place they have inside. Mudgie does not really like interacting with other kids, and is much more cautious about climbing and jumping. While Aaron still can't do everything Mudgie can, physically, it certainly doesn't keep him from trying. He pushes himself to his physical limit, and will only discover it when he falls and hurts himself.

One thing these boys do have in common is their cuddly nature, and their love of belly buttons. Mudgie's need to play with my belly button has certainly decreased since he was Aaron's age (thankfully), but he'll still ask for it when he needs some cuddle time. Aaron has become obsessed with it, and really doesn't want anyone else to go near it (like Dave or Mudgie). He'll even come over and push Dave away from me if Dave tries to give me a hug! They both love to snuggle up with blankets and pillows, and will cuddle on the couch with you watching tv probably all day if you let them.

My favorite cuddle time with both the boys is when I put them to bed at night. Aaron goes to bed first, and we'll sit in the chair in his room and nurse while I sing him his songs. Then we'll read Goodnight Mood, and while we read, Aaron will suck his thumb, play with my belly button, and rest is head on my chest. It's the best. Then when I put Mudgie to bed, I'll read him a book and sing him his song. Sometimes he'll play with my belly button, and other times we just snuggle close, especially when I sing to him.

I know Dave (and probably everyone else) thinks it's weird how the boys love to play with my belly, and it probably is, but I know that it will end before I know it, and I'll miss it when it does. That's why I love our cuddle time so much. I know I need to bank as many cuddles as I can, because there will come a day when they end...

No comments: