Wednesday, July 17, 2013

4th of July and the Birthday Party, and Potty Training too!




















I know the 4th of July came first, but let's start with the fact my first baby, the little boy who made me a mother, is now 5 years old.  How did that even happen?

On Saturday, Mudgie's actual birthday, we had 45 of our closest family and friends over to the house for a big birthday blow-out.  The rain held off, and despite the heat and humidity outside, everyone had a great time.  The kids played with the new slip and slide (this one has a ramp), the 15' x 15' bouncy house we rented (that barely fit in my car), and the swing set and other outdoor toys.  The grown-up watched the kids play, and for most of us, that was very hands-off as the kids are getting bigger and more independent.  In fact, they all played so nicely together that I almost didn't want the party to end.

I made the boys' a Transformers cake (Optimus Prime, per their request), and Mudgie thought it was the coolest cake ever.  It made staying up late and negotiating my giant pregnant belly around the decorating worth while.  In fact, he was showing it off to someone and was overheard saying, "My mommy made that all by herself.  I didn't even help her!"  Yup.  I love that kiddo!

After dinner, the boys opened their presents, and all I can say is it was a transformers windfall for everyone!  Aaron got a few transformers, a few rescue bots, and some other toys (including a really cool big wheels), but Mudgie pretty much got nothing but transformers...and he loved it!  They both had such a fun day, and what more can you ask for from a birthday party?

Now, back the previous weekend.  Dave, the boys, and I went to Nara Park in Acton in see the fireworks.  We'd never been before, but had heard good things about it.  We parked about 1 mile away and walked over (in the sweltering heat).  The boys, who had been sick the weekend before, were making up for lost time and eating everything in sight!  They had ice cream, candy, chips, fried dough, and french fries...all after eating a full dinner at home!  We ate and watched the live Beatles tribute band until the fireworks started.  By that point, Aaron was pretty tired (it was 2 hours past his bedtime after all), but both the boys really liked the show.  Afterwards, we (and the hundreds of other people who were there) trudged the mile back to our cars (me carrying Aaron) in the still way too hot night.  It was 10:30pm by the time we got back to our car, and after 11:30 by the time we got home.  I think we all slept like bricks that night.

We spent the rest of the long weekend pool crashing.  At 9 months pregnant and 90+ degrees outside, there is not much else to do.  On Friday, the boys and I went to the town beach, since Dave had to work.  Then on Saturday we went to my grandparent's house in Boxford, and on Sunday it was over to my dad's house.  The boys just love the pool, as I mentioned before, so they were quite happy with these outings!

On one final note, Aaron is now pretty much potty trained.  Since he's been spending so much time in bathing suits these days, he's done really well with tell us when he has to go to the bathroom.  So last week, we took away the diapers, and on the potty he went.  He's had a few accidents, but for the most part he is really good at letting us know when he needs to go.  It was attempt #3 at potty training, but I think this is it, and other than nap/bedtime, we will only have 1 in diapers once this baby arrives!  I am so proud of my big boy!



No comments: