Sunday, May 4, 2014

Tommy Takes Off, and Mudgie Reads!
















It's been a big couple weeks in the Weatherwax household.  As I said last time, Tommy is finally crawling.  But unlike a couple weeks ago, he actually enjoys it now (mostly), and he's getting pretty fast.  He's so fast, in fact, that he managed to crawl himself right off our bed this week before Daddy could get to him!  He was ok, thankfully, but he got a bump on his head and a scrape over his eye.  He was so shocked about the whole thing, and I think he was trying to make Dave feel guilty about letting it happen on his watch because for the rest of the day he cried every time he saw Dave until he picked Tommy up (a behavior usually reserved for Mommy).  And if crawling wasn't enough, Tommy has quickly progressed to cruising along the furniture and walking with push toy!  He will go across the entire playroom by himself.  Needless to say, the childproofing is in full force.

Tommy has been growing up in other ways as well.  First, I should mention just how much he loves his brothers, and he really looks to them for cues on how to react.  When they are laughing, he will laugh too.  When someone is crying, he'll often get a little upset, or at least a worried look on his face.  He's clapping, waving, and babbling more in general.  Next week we have his 9 month check-up (a little late due to a doctor conflict), and I really can't wait to see how big he is!

Mudgie has also been busy.  He started playing T-ball a couple weeks ago, and this weekend was his first game.  He had big following in attendance (all of us, Grammy, Grampy, Auntie Lisa, Auntie Andrea, and cousin Hazel), and we all cheered at he hit the ball (pretty well), ran the bases (also well), and played in the field.  Mudgie was very serious while he was in the field, and perfected his "ready" position.  It was so perfect he didn't want to move from it unless the ball came right to him, which actually turned out to be fine because there were usually 3-4 other kids all going for the ball at the same time.  He did better at first base, but kept throwing the ball underhand, so clearly that is something we need to work on.

In addition to baseball, Mudgie has been working on his reading.  I pulled out a few Dr. Seuss classics for him to read to us.  He can read a lot of the "Cat in the Hat" without any help.  I'm really impressed!  Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to enjoy it yet.  I think he is concentrating so much on each word that he isn't digesting the "story," so it's too much work and no fun.  I'm sure the more we do it the better he will get and the more he'll like it.

Aaron has been spending his hours (and I'm talking many many hours) pondering all the nuances of the new Disney movie "Frozen."  The Easter Bunny left it in his basket, and I think we watch at least some of it every day!  There are days when he and I will spend the entire car ride to and from daycare discussing the movie.  I'm waiting for it to get old, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath...




No comments: