Monday, April 19, 2010

Mudgie moves to his "Big Boy Room"






This weekend Mudgie finally moved into his big boy room, and with it, his big boy bed. The transition actually went so much smoother than I could have hoped for. We took the twin bed off the frame, putting the mattress and box spring right on the floor. We pushed 1 side right next to the wall, and put a rail on the other side. On Saturday night, Mudgie got ready for bed, and we read his books in his big boy bed, instead of our usual chair. He was a little confused by this, but went with the flow well. When I got out and told him it was time for bed, he didn't want to lay down. I sat on the floor next to the bed and sang our nighttime song. He would put his hand on the rail, and I'd lean over and kiss it. Then he'd lean his head over for me to kiss that. After a few rounds of our song, he was finally ready to lay down. I covered him with his blankies (the same ones from the crib), and he went to sleep. Around midnight that night we heard a thud and cry, and I ran into the room expecting the worst, but he had just rolled into the wall and wedged himself between the bed and wall. I moved him back and he slept the rest of the night. The next morning, we pushed the bed as close to the wall as we could, and he's been napping and sleeping the night in his bed ever since.

We had a great long weekend, but I think we all would have liked to see the sun a bit more. Mudgie really does love to be outside, and it's so hard to tell him we can't go outside and play with his car and swingset. He loves the new toddler swing we got for him, and wants to go "fast" and "high in the sky." We spent way too much of our time inside this weekend watching the movie Cars. It has quickly become Mudgie's favorite thing to do, and I can only hope this phase will pass as the Thomas the Tank Engine phase did. On the flip side, at least we had a way to keep him entertained all weekend!

On Sunday, Grammy and Grampy Weatherwax came over and brought Easter baskets. Among (many) other things, Mudgie got a Thomas the Tank Engine tent. He LOVES it! However, the tent is bigger than some cars, and now takes up more than half of the living room. I guess we have to finish that basement soon so we can get our living room back...

On Monday, we had a playdate with Mudgie best friend from daycare, Talia. I think (hope) they both had a great time. Mudgie did have a little trouble sharing his toys, but in the end I think he did ok. We are still working on his sharing skills, which I would have said were improving last week, but I guess these things take time.