
Aaron and I really enjoyed our last few days together. Though the weather was less than stellar, we still managed to get out for a couple walks and a few other outings. On Wednesday, as Aaron and I were having a lazy morning after Daddy and Mudgie had left the house for the day, I realized this would very likely be the last couple days we would ever have so much time alone with each other.
While I do enjoy my job, I am really going to miss my days alone with Aaron. I feel like we really "get" each other. I don't know if it's because he's my second and I was better prepared this time, or if it's because I had a lot less on my plate this time around, or if it's just that he's a better communicator and I'm now a better listener, but I understand Aaron needs so much better than I did with Mudgie when he was this age. We figured out how to keep Mudgie from crying (nursing, dancing, sleeping in our bed), but I was never really sure which one he needed. With Aaron, I know exactly what he wants and needs. He sleeps. When he wakes up from a nap, he either needs to eat (if he wakes up crying) or he wants to play (if he wakes up happy). To play, I'll change his diaper and then do tummy time or floor play on his back. Every other day he gets a bath, which he just loves. He likes reading books or dancing in the kitchen too. We play until he gets hungry, and after he eats it's time for more sleep. Sometimes he fights sleep, so I'll swaddle him up tight (which we always do at night), stick a pacifier in his mouth, and then rock him to sleep. I know what he needs...
This weekend we did lots of fun fall activities. We went apple picking at Shelburne Farm in Stow. They had a little hay bale maze, peddle tractors, and a bouncy house to play in if picking apples wasn't exciting enough. Mudgie loved going on the hay ride (big surprise, right?), and he even found a ladder to climb in the apple orchard. On Sunday we made our final trip of the year to Kimballs. We ate ice cream, played on the grounds, and for the first time we also played in the arcade. Mudgie played the basketball game and skeeball! He thought it was great. Aaron slept through almost all of these events. He went through a growth spurt earlier in the week and was eating every hour for almost 3 days, so really he was just trying to catch up on missed sleep. On Monday we took care of errands and chores, but did get in a little playground time.
Tomorrow morning I'll be bringing both boys to daycare. I know Aaron will do great there. I saw how well Karen handled Mudgie, who was a heck of a lot more work. He was happy and well cared for, and he has turned into the most amazing little boy. I know she will do the same with Aaron, and Mudgie is excited for Aaron to join him and his friends. But there is still a part of me that is sad to let go of this very special time I've had with my baby. I feel so fortunate that I've had the chance to get this one-on-one time with my second child...I'll never forget it.
1 comment:
I don't know what's making me emotional more...your last trip to Kimballs for the season OR your last week with Aaron before you go back to work! HeeHee!
Post a Comment