Thursday, December 30, 2010

Merry Christmas...and lots of other stuff too















It's been quite a while since I've written about the goings-on of the Weatherwax household. That's partly because we've been really busy, but it's mostly because Aaron has stopped sleeping on his own. He doesn't sleep for more than 20 minutes if I'm not holding him. This has made it rather difficult to do much of anything. If Mudgie hadn't been the same way, I'm sure I'd be freaking out, imagining this going on for the next 18 years, but having survived this once before, I know that this too shall pass.

We had about 5 "Christmases" this year. The first 2 were the weekend before Christmas, when we went back to Western Mass. We had Dave's family Christmas party, which was the first time many of them had met Aaron. Both he and Mudgie did really well that night, especially considering Mudgie was up until about 10pm...way past his usual 7:30/8pm bedtime. Mudgie loved playing with his cousins, especially Lindsey (Mudgie's age) and her big brother Brandon (almost 7). He also hit it off really well with Cree, who would be a perfect babysitter if she only lived a little closer!

The next morning we went over to Grampy Michael's house, and we all went out to breakfast. We haven't really taken the boys to many restaurants (ok, only 1) since Aaron was born, but everyone did really well, and I think we could probably venture out a little more often. After breakfast we did presents, and Mudgie loved all the gifts he got, even if it took him a while to open them all. He's 2, and when he opens something really cool, he doesn't want to wait to play with it! At least it means he really likes what he got.

The week before Christmas, Mudgie got really scared about Santa coming to our house on Christmas eve. I have no idea what spooked him, but he really didn't want Santa to come. Fortunately, once Christmas eve rolled around, he seemed content enough to leave some milk and cookies out for the big guy. Actually, Mudgie only wanted to leave Santa 1 cookie, likely because he wanted to save the others for himself! He went to bed that night like it was any other night, and slept soundly until the morning (unlike Aaron, but I won't even go there).

On Christmas morning, there were so many presents. I can't even begin to describe what the living room looked like. Mudgie was once again very excited to open his gifts, but also very eager to play with everything he got. In fact, he only made it through about half of his presents before he was off watching the Polar Express...for the rest of the day. Really, I think he watched that movie 4 times on Christmas, and 4 more the next day! He did take a break to open some more gifts when all my family came over for Christmas dinner, but even though he got some great presents, you could tell he was just overwhelmed by it all and really just wanted to watch his new movie.

The next day, Mudgie opened the rest of his gifts from us and Dave's family. The big gift we got the boys this year was a bouncy house for the basement. I thought Mudgie was going to go crazy for it, but it turns out he scared of the blower and doesn't want the thing on! I'm hoping if we have a few of his friends over they will show him how much fun it can be! Aaron got lots of clothes and teething toys, and has been really into playing with them all. He's getting really good with his hands, and when he's in a good mood, he loves to play and smile and laugh. He's becoming such a sweet little boy with a very loving personality!

On Monday, we did Christmas #5 with my Dad, brother (aka Uncle David) and sister (aka Auntie Elizabeth). Once again, the boys got tons of presents. The challenge now is finding a place to put all of this stuff. I told Dave the basement we just finished is now overflowing with toys and we need to move. While I'm not serious about moving, we really do have so many toys.

Onto things non-Christmas related. Mudgie has been saying the cutest/funniest things lately. While I can't remember every conversation, here are a few of them that have stuck in my head:

We are listening to music in the car on the way home from daycare.
Mudgie: Me like this song, Mommy.
Me: I'm glad, Mudgie.
A few seconds later I hear Mudgie fussing in the backseat.
Me: What's wrong Mudgie Man?
Mudgie: Me can't shake my bootie.

We are in the car on the way home after Mudgie was such a good boy getting his hair cut. He didn't cry at all, and he's now eating the lollipop he gets after a haircut.
Mudgie: There's juice in this lollipop.
Me: No, Mudgie, there's sugar in the lollipop.
Mudgie: Where sugar come from?
Me: Probably high fructose corn syrup.
Mudgie: That's not good!

Mudgie and Dave are going down the stairs to play in the basement. Mudgie loses his footing for a second and almost falls.
Dave: Woah.
Mudgie: Me almost died!

I don't know where Mudgie picks some of this stuff up, but it sure makes for some good entertainment! He also loves to sing Frosty the Snowman, but only seems fond of the first line. He knows more than that, but for whatever reason only sings the first line...

Aaron, on the other hand, is growing into a such a fun little boy. He's getting really good at rolling from side to side, though still doesn't seem to roll over consistently. At 5 months old, he is now 15 lbs. 5oz, and 27 inches long. He's so ticklish, and loves it when you tickle his armpits and his belly. He also loves to put his hands in my mouth while he's nursing, and he things it's hilarious if I pretend to eat them. He has such a wonderful personality, and I'm so excited to see more and more of it every day.

New Year's is right around the corner, and I'm sure there will be plenty more to share soon.




No comments: