Sunday, June 29, 2014
Another Bug
I wanted to write this post last weekend, but after the longest, most exhausting, and most disgusting week of parenthood I have yet experienced, I just didn't have it in me. This week, however, was much improved, so I can now share the story of the worst stomach bug to hit the Weatherwax household yet!
It started with Mudgie, almost 2.5 weeks ago. I came from work on Thursday, and he had fallen asleep on the couch for our after school babysitter. This NEVER happens, so I took his temperature and it was 102+. The next morning he still had a fever and was saying his stomach hurt, so he stayed home from school. This fact was particularly sad, as this was the day of the kindergarten show, and I had been looking forward to it for weeks! Dave, Mudgie, and I were all a bit heartbroken, but I just couldn't send him. It was a good thing I stuck to my guns because he had diarrhea until Monday. This bug just seemed to hang around so much longer than anything else we've had in the house, which is one reason it seemed so much worse.
On Sunday night, Aaron started vomiting. The first time it happened he was sleeping in bed, and the end result was so disgusting that not only were new sheets, blankets, and PJ's required, but also a bath. The poor kid was up almost every hour that night, resulting in 2 more bedding changes, 3 more PJ changes, and a few times when he figured out when to go to the bathroom. Couple that with Tommy's usual 3x/night wakings, and I was exhausted. Dave stayed home with Aaron on Monday, who continued to give back anything we tried to put in him. Dave took him to the drugstore for pedialite, and he threw up in the store!
Monday night was much like Sunday's, but with no bath and fewer bedding changes. By Tuesday both Aaron and Tommy were running a fever. Aaron had yet to keep anything down, and I was worried about him getting dehydrated, so I brought him into the doctor. When he tested positive for strep, I had Tommy checked too (they had shared a sippy cup on Sunday), and guess what? He had it too! We left with 2 prescriptions for amoxicillin and an anti-nausea medicine for Aaron so he could keep down the amoxicillin. He continued to spend the rest of the day with "the bowl," but did manage to keep down the medicine.
By Wednesday he was feeling a bit better, but still had a few "incidents." Tommy vomited once, but then his version seemed to transition to diarrhea like Mudgie. By Thursday everyone was healthy enough to go back to daycare, except Dave had now contracted the bug and was out of commision through the weekend! Like I said, it was a long week. In hindsight, I'm not sure if Tommy's stomach issues were from the bug or from the amoxicillin. He had lots of yucky poops the entire 10 days he was on it, and started getting a little rash on his tummy and terrible diaper rash (probably from all the poops). Luckily, everyone now seems to be healthy, so hopefully we can all stay this way for a while!
The one bright spot about that week was the landscapers finally completing our patio project. We now have an amazing fire pit, and once the boys got healthy, they have been enjoying roasting marshmallows on it and staying up past their bedtime.
This week was the start of Mudgie's summer vacation, and so all the boys are now going to K-K's for the summer. It's so nice to have them all in the same place again, if only for a couple months. I found it amusing that on the first day of summer vacation, Mudgie and Talia spent half the day playing "school!"
This weekend we enjoyed lots of fun time outdoors. On Friday the boys and I went strawberry picking, and then visited with Great-Grammy and Great-Grampy. The big boys had a blast in the pool, and Mudgie is doing really well in the water. He was swimming up and down the pool with only 1 arm floatie on, and it was only half inflated. I'm pretty sure he can swim without it on, but he likes the "security" of it. Saturday we played with water toys outside and had a fire after dinner, and then on Sunday we went swimming again. Tommy doesn't really love the water, but as long as I'm holding him, he doesn't complain about it either.
Tommy still clearly prefers crawling to walking, and he does it so fast that I don't think he sees the need to walk. In fact, even outside on the new patio, he will "crawl" on his hands and feet instead of his knees, rather than walk. He's obsessed with the stairs, which makes it really hard to do stuff these days, since we still don't have a gate that will fit. There are times when I have to stick him in the exersaucer because it's the only safe place to leave him when I need to use 2 hands.
This weeks Tommy has really started to participate more in "conversation." He will give me a "kiss" when asked, which is really more of him trying to swallow my face while I give him a kiss, but it's super cute and he loves it. He will also "sing" with me, which I have yet to get on video, but he'll copy what I do, and only sing when someone else is. Lastly, he finally cut a tooth this weekend! Looks like he won't be toothless in his first year pictures!
And finally, some "funny things the kids say" stuff!
We are leaving Grampy Michael's house after a nice visit, and Mudgie is opening the storm door. He looks at the spring and damper at the bottom of the door and says, "Look! We have that same mechanism on our door!"
Dave is eating ice pops out by the fire pit, and he puts one of the empty plastic wrappers on the ground. Aaron tells him, "Daddy. Pick that up. That's glittering!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment