Sunday, November 8, 2009

Mudgie Gets a Big Booboo






Well, we had a big week. Mudgie finally went for his 15-month check-up, as his doctor was sick for his first appointment and we had to re-schedule. Mudgie now weighs a whopping 26 lbs (75th percentile), and is 31 inches long (50th percentile). His height and weight area both increasing well. However, his noggin my be a different story. According to the measurements, Mudgie's head has grown considerably faster than the rest of his body, and is now in the 95th percentile. I think this is more a result of the fact that Mudgie hates to have his head measured and squirms through the entire process, resulting in the fact that no one ever gets a good, consistent measurement. However, just to rule anything out, Mudgie is going for a head ultrasound next week...who ever heard of such a thing?

The rest of his appointment was rather uneventful. He got both the seasonal flu shot, and the H1N1 flu shot, but because of his size, he actually needs 2 shots of these for full protection and so we have to go back in a month for another dose of each. Also, because he was getting his flu shots, the doctor wanted to hold off on his vaccinations, so we are going back in 2 weeks to get those. Poor Mudgie is going to be poked and prodded a lot this month.

Mudgie and I enjoyed a quiet day at home on Friday, allowing us plenty of time to play outside and rake the yard. Mudgie really loves playing with the leaves! He helped me rake the back yard on Friday, and then he helped Daddy rake the front on Saturday. After we finished the yardwork, it was off to Western Mass to visit the family. Mudgie had a nice visit on Saturday, but unfortunately he woke up on Sunday morning with a cough and a runny nose that was very much a cold. We were all so sad, since that meant we couldn't go visit the other Grammy and Grampy, but we tried to keep Mudgie happy by going to feed the ducks at Forest Park. Everything was going well until Mudgie fell and hit his head on some granite. The sound it made was utterly terrifying, and my heart skipped about 20 beats and I felt like I was going to throw up. Mudgie started screaming and I don't even remember how I got to him, because all I remember is picking him up to see what happened. We are so lucky that all he ended up with are a few bruises and scrapes, but it looks like he got into a bar fight. I can't even begin to describe how terrified I was when it happend, how bad I felt/feel about allowing it to happen, and how lucky I feel that it didn't turn out any worse than it did. I can't even begin to think about that...

1 comment:

Lisa Weatherwax Bagnall said...

Oh no! Mudgie got his first official "oww-wee"...it looks like a pretty good one, AND the poor little guy has a cold too! He is getting so grown up with all his grown up troubles! Hope he is feeling better soon! Miss you all!