Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mudgie's weaned and has his first overnight!




After almost a year and a half, Mudgie is finally done nursing. To be honest, I think it was harder on me than him. It was such a special thing just between the two of us, and while at first I questioned whether or not I'd make it 6 months, it turned into something we both loved. For the past couple months we had only been nursing once a day, when Mudgie woke up in the morning. He'd come into bed with us and we'd nurse and cuddle for a while before really getting up. Now, he still comes into bed with us in the morning, but it's just for snuggles, and as long as he has access to my belly, he doesn't seem to miss the nursing.

However, as sad as I was to let go of that phase of our relationship, it comes with a few perks. Mainly, now that he doesn't need/expect something that only I can give him, he's ready to spend the night without us! So on Saturday night, Grammy Moe and Grampy Butch came over to our house to watch Mudgie while Dave and I went out for a night in Boston. Dave's company had their holiday party at the Museum of Science, and we got a hotel room in the city for the night. While we talked about him a lot that night, neither of us were really worried about him. He's so grown up and so good with other people now that I knew he'd be ok that night. We called to check in at the end of night, and as expected, all had gone well.

What I was really worried about was what would happen when he woke up in the morning. Again, however, there was no need to worry, as he slept later than he had in weeks (6:20am), and loved spending his cuddle time with Grammy. We were able to sleep late and have a nice breakfast in the city. Of course, I woke up at 6am thinking I heard a phone ringing, which woke up Dave, and then we both had trouble falling back to sleep, but even still, it was nice to be able to relax and lounge around all morning! Mudgie didn't even seem to have missed us when we got home! In all, it was a great experience, and hopefully we'll be able to do it again sometime!

1 comment:

Lisa Weatherwax Bagnall said...

Thank goodness for Momma's belly!