Monday, May 30, 2011

A GREAT Memorial Day Weekend











I have so many great stories to share this week. Let me start off with sharing the fact that poor Aaron has been a teething maniac. He has cut 5 teeth in the past 2 weeks. Needless to say, he's been a little fussier than normal, and sleep has been less than terrific, but he's still a pretty good baby. He's also now pulling himself up to standing on anything he get his little hands on...which brings me to my next story.

On Tuesday, I came home with the kids after work, and we all went down in the basement to play. After feeding Aaron, I set him up in the middle of the room so I could go change. Both he and Mudgie were playing happily, so I zipped upstairs to put some new clothes on. I came back down, saw they were both exactly where I left them, and then went back upstairs to clean bottles in the kitchen. Less than 60 seconds later, I hear Aaron screaming. I run downstairs to see him inside one of giant bins under the train table, face down with his feet hanging (and kicking) out the back! He had managed to scoot himself a good 4 feet over to the bin, pull himself up on it, and then fall inside. The scene was so comical that I really wanted to grab the camera to take a picture, but the good mom on my shoulder won out, and I just retrieved him from the bin.

I had such a wonderful "brothers" moment this week too. I was giving the boys a bath, and Aaron started blowing raspberries. Mudgie found this funny, and he started blowing them back. Aaron found that hilarious, and Mudgie got such a kick out making Aaron laugh that he continued doing it for about 5 minutes. It was so awesome to see both boys having so much fun with each other, and hear Mudgie get belly laughs out of Aaron that he usually only gives when being tickled.

On Friday the boys and I went to what Mudgie refers to as the "train track" park. It's a little park just down the road from us at Forge Pond. It was so hot on Friday that I was hoping this park would be a little cooler, and I was right. There was a great breeze coming off the water, and we even waded into the pond, which was surprisingly warm. The best part of the trip, however, was the train we saw go by. Mudgie, Aaron and I heard the whistle, letting us know it was coming, and we went right by the track to see it. The conductor waved and blew his whistle for Mudgie (which, of course, scared the crap out of him), and we watched the whole train go by before going back to play on the swings.

We spent Saturday out in Western Mass, visiting Grampy Michael and Auntie Lee, and then with Grammy and Grampy Weatherwax and Auntie Lisa. We went out to lunch with Michael and Lee, and the waitress seemed very impressed when Mudgie told her what he'd like to eat (a grilled cheese with chips). Mudgie had lots of fun over at Grammy and Grampy's place too, but Aaron was having an "off" afternoon. Maybe the teeth?

On Sunday, we made another attempt at Mt. Monadnock. The black flies were not nearly as bad as they were at the beginning of the month, but this time we had lots of mosquitos to deal with. We sprayed everyone up, but we all still got a few bites, and poor Aaron had more than the rest of us. We made it further on this treck, but still did not reach the top. Mudgie did a really good job hiking, and did the first quarter-mile or so on his own, before going in the backpack. We probably got somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way up the mountain before everyone had had enough. We stopped and had some lunch, and then headed down. I don't think Mudgie stopped talking the whole trip! We even passed a group who asked, "Does he keep the commentary the whole time?" Pretty much! Aaron was tuckered out from being attacked by bugs, and he slept on my back the whole way down. Fortunately, I rigged the pack with a towel, which allowed him enough room to put his head down without needing to rest it on me (making my trip down a lot more comfortable).

After our hike, we stopped for an ice cream treat at Kimballs (they have one in Jaffery, NH). Aaron and I shared a frappe, and I'm not sure who ate more of it! Both kids napped in the car, and then when we got home, we went in the pool for the first time this year. Aaron seemed to like the water, but it was still a little cold, which he wasn't too thrilled with. Mudgie was a little scared of the water too, but I finally got him to come in with me. He did not like the cold water, but still had a lot of fun. Then he wanted to take off his bathing suit and run around naked. It was SO cute. He still didn't want to pee on the potty, though.

Monday was a very low-key day. Aaron was a little off all day. We're not sure if it was the heat, or what I hope is the last tooth finally cutting through. Both these kids are growing up so fast. Mudgie is really entertaining, and Aaron is just so darn cute. It was a very nice weekend, and everyone (kids and grown-ups) had a lot of fun.

No comments: